Living with Seizure Disorder July 2012
Welcome friends to the newsletter for you! Living with Seizure Disorder is designed with you in mind and future editions will have your voice – thoughts and ideas right from the seizure disorders community. Sit back and enjoy.
“How you think about a problem is more important than the problem itself. So always think positively.” – NORMAN VINCENT PEALE
Exercise of the Month: As you help your body recover from stress and seizures, stretching is important. For many living with seizures, balance becomes a problem. The following exercise helps you stretch and relax while giving you the extra security of being seated to guard from a fall.
**Always check with your doctor before starting a new exercise routine.
My concern for seizure survivors is the ongoing heatwave throughout the South in the US. Dehydration, brain swelling, lack of appetite, and constipation can all be caused by rising temperatures which may trigger seizures of any type. With many days of heat still ahead, National Seizure Disorders Foundation brings you the following tips on staying cool.
- Stay indoors during the hottest part of each day
- Keep windows covered with dark or heavy coverings during the hottest part of the day.
- Keep the temperature of your home at a cool and conservative 72 degrees
- Eat foods low in sodium
- Eat small meals easy to prepare
- Drink water throughout the day at least 64 ounces daily unless your doctor suggests differently. Always follow doctor instruction.
- Moderate caffeine, alcohol, and smoking
- If you become overheated, place your feet in cold water and place a cold wet towel on your head to cool the body and brain.
These are just a few tips. If you have more, we welcome them. Please submit them in a comment below.
Question of the Month: What are some of the ways you can ease the side effects caused by seizure disorder and AED’s? Find the answer HERE
“Live in such a way, that if someone were to speak badly of you, no one would believe it.” – Unknown
NSDF News: July is the month National Seizure Disorders Foundation files for our non-profit 502(c)3 status. Follow us on FaceBook for updates and more.
Resources for You
“Be miserable. Or motivate yourself. Whatever has to be done, it’s always your choice. “ Wayne Dyer
Your thoughts are important to National Seizure Disorders Foundation. What would you like to see in future newsletters from NSDF? Please let us know as we plan for these newsletters to become a powerful tool for your positive seizure management.
Peace and Power,